Hurt comes to everyone’s life in one way or another. For some, it’s more severe than others. For me, this year has been the hardest of my life in terms of personal hurt. Of course, when we use a generic term like hurt it can mean physical, emotional, or spiritual hurt. It can even be a potent combination of the three. In fact, it usually is a blending of the three, because when we are hurting in one area it bleeds into the other two eventually.
A friend once said, “Don’t let your pain go to waste”. That’s stuck with me for many years. Every hardship has a lesson (or multiple lessons) embedded within it. Certainly this is the essence of Paul’s anointed thinking when he wrote of learning to be content in every situation (Philippians 4:11).
Below are nine things to remember when hurting humbly written from one hurt person to another.
1. You’re not the only one hurting.
2. Hurt doesn’t give anyone a license to be a jerk.
3. All hurts can be healed.
4. God is present even when you don’t feel Him.
5. Your response to hurt will determine whether you come out stronger or weaker.
6. There are valuable lessons to be learned while hurting.
7. Anointing is forged and perfected in fiery furnaces.
8. Hiding from helpers only makes hurting hurt worse.
9. Hurt is only a season that will soon pass.
Finally, if you need prayer don’t hesitate to write. You are not alone. You are not forgotten. You are going to make it.